Winters are cold and brutal in towns like Andover, MA, and most of us are accustomed to spending more every month to pay for the heating required to keep the cold at bay. To a certain extent, there’s nothing you can do about this. Cold weather demands extra heating use by default. But while you need to pay more for the privilege in the winter months, make sure you don’t pay more than you need to. Here are a few small steps to help you improve your system’s efficiency and lower those pesky bills all winter long.
- Dress warmly indoors. A sweater or long-sleeved shirt can keep you just as warm as a heater, and it costs nothing to put one one.
- Keep inside doors closed. Closing doors to unused bedrooms and other parts of the house will make it easier to retain heat.
- Lower your thermostat. Setting the temperature a few degrees lower than you might otherwise can make a huge difference in your bills, and won’t feel all that much different.
- Centralize activities. If you have multiple people occupying the house at any given time, try to stay within one room or section. It will stay warmer as a result.
- Don’t heat an empty house. Lower the heat to 55 degrees during those times when you won’t be home, and use your thermostat’s programming features to raise the heat 15-20 minutes before you expect to arrive home. It uses much less energy than simply letting the heater run in an empty house all day.
- Schedule maintenance. If you haven’t scheduled a maintenance session yet this year, now is the perfect time to do so. It will help improve your system’s efficiency and reduce the risk of breakdowns to boot.
For quality heating installation, repairs and service, call the professionals at Cooling Unlimited, Inc. today!