Many homes in the Brookline, MA area rely on forced-air furnaces to stay warm during the cold winter months. These units generate heated air from a single centralized locale, then blow it through the ducts into the various rooms of your home. Ducts are often protected from danger because they’re located in out-of-the-way spots like the crawlspace between your walls or the attic. But leaks can still spring up, either because of direct damage or the wear and tear caused by years of heating up and cooling down as you operate your HVAC system.
Leaks are a problem because they rob your system of efficiency, which has the double effect of raising your bills and increasing strain on the rest of the system. If left untreated, it can result in a serious breakdown elsewhere in the system, as wells as forcing you to pay more than you should for reliable heating. A trained technician can seal the leak without a problem, but how can you tell if your ducts are leaking if you can’t ready access or see them? We have a list of signs below.
- Strange noises like whistling or humming, which will usually start and stop in conjunction with the heating system.
- Hot spots (or cold spots in the summer) where the diverted air blows against a wall or ceiling.
- Reduced air flow coming out of the vents, as a result of the diverted air.
- Air that isn’t as warm as it should be, as a result of unconditioned air being brought in.
- Higher than expected bills, especially if you haven’t used your heating system any more often than normal.
Never attempt to repair a duct leak yourself. Only trained technicians have the proper skills Instead, turn the system off and call the pros at Cooling Unlimited to take care of the problem the right way!